On Mon, Jun 14, 2004 at 08:08:46AM +0300, Yedidyah Bar-David wrote:

> >   Have you tried asking Advice?
>
> I do not really see a point in this. Since they give the upsmon.tar
> thing, why should they care about nut?

  In general, mentioning Linux, when appropriate, is likely to promote
it. More specifically, if you told them in advance that you are running
Linux it could be that you were told that the nut is not working with
that ups, at least saving some of your time. And regarding upsmon, what
about support for upsmon? Upgrades? Can't it stop working when you will
upgrade the software? Worse, it will continue to work in a partial
manner, and the user will find that out in the wrong circumstances. In
addition, the nut has many features which I believe are not available
with upsmon. For example, network capabilities, one framework for many
ups vendors, one framework for different users, and probably more.

>                                        I saw in google that you were
> involved with this a few years ago. Did you contact them? Did they
> help?

  I did contact them. They did help me. In general I find their service
to be reasonably good until it comes to software issues. Either they are
not allowed and/or don't want to expose the data or that they don't know
it and didn't bother to find out.

>       And it was shipped without a serial cable, and I bought one only
> last eve (a few hours before posting).

  Was it purchased directly from them? I think you should complain about
it. At least in the past the norm was to provide a serial and power
cable with the ups. Maybe this norm was changed. Once again, complaining
even though it seems pointless might help someone else.

  In addition, I believe that this discussion is *On* Topic (OT).
--
"If you have an apple and I have  an apple and we  exchange apples then
you and I will still each have  one apple. But  if you have an idea and I