David Howard wrote:

Hi all,

I've been reading the recent thread on DBs with some interest, since I've been interested for some time in learning how to use a DB. My only previous DB experience was long ago with a DOS-based version of Lotus 1-2-3, with very clunky Hebrew support. I am looking for a database programme suited to my needs.

The DB would be used by English teachers in a Jerusalem High School, to keep detailed ongoing records of students - class, hakbatzot, grades etc. Currently, such records are kept in (Hebrew-enabled) MS Excel files: English interface, all data in Hebrew. OOcalc offers some solutions, but like Excel requires alterations to multiple spreadsheets when any changes are made. A DB with full Hebrew support is an obvious solution. MS Access is *not* an option.

Most of the actual and potential users are native English speakers, MS-centric, with poor Hebrew literacy, with limited computer skills (is this redundant? ;-) ), and with *no* CLI skills.

The requirements therefore are:

1. *Full* Hebrew support
2. GUI, preferably but not essentially in English
3. Ability to import existing MS Excel data
4. Reasonable learning curve for the technically-challenged

Any and all suggestions will be gratefully received.

TIA

I would go, initially, with the postgresql+pgadmin3 combination. The later can be downloaded from ftp://ftp2.il.postgresql.org/mirrors/pgsql/pgadmin3/release/, while the former is usually part of the Linux distribution you are using. One thing I am not 100% sure about is how well it will work with reversing Hebrew fields, though. Then again, there is pgadmin, which is web based (and thus will not suffer from such problems). I cannot tell you how well suited it's going to be for what you will need, though.

In any case, make sure that, when postgresql creates the database area, to give it either "ISO-8859-8" encoding, or (preferably) UNICODE.

Personally, I usually opt for building a web interface for such things. This solves all of your Hebrew problems, using a standard interface.

Another thing to consider is taking an Access framework, and asking it to work with PostgreSQL over ODBC.

            Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting ltd.