On Friday 02 July 2004 04:09, H.E. wrote:
> My harddrive is causing me real trouble. I hope you could help me.

> dma_intr: status=0x49 { DriveReady DataRequest Error }
> dma_intr: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }

> I don't believe my harddrive is failing because it is rather new, and I
> read on debian mailing list archive that this "DriveStatusError" error
> without any other error means that my harddrive doesn't understand a
> command, and is ignoring it.
>
> I'm using an intel motherboard with i815 chipset.
> The harddisk involved is WDC WD600JB-00CRA1

I had a very bad experience with that range of Western Digital's Caviar drives
- specifically the 40GB and the 60GB versions. three drives failed after less
then 2 months of operation and had to be replaced, one after another (it
might have been funny if it wasn't so sad: "Hi- I'm here to replace the drive
again. yes, this one doesn't work either, can I get another?". taught me not
to shop for harddrives at the supermarket ;-).
I finally got a Samsung and I'm a happy camper :-)

--
Oded

::..
If you do not think about the future, you cannot have one.
        -- John Galsworthy