On Tuesday 24 August 2004 13:53, Shachar Shemesh wrote:
> >Additionally, you're free to *create* a derived work and not offer
> > it to anyone under the GPL, as long as you're not publishing it
> > under a different license. That's also not an academic distinction;
> > it applies to all software developed for in-house use.
> >

> That is true, and is a result of the GPL wording (and meaning, mind
> you). The GPL only requires you to give the sources to those parties
> you gave the binaries to. This is not a mistake, and is an intended
> consequence.

Some nitpicking - the last statement is specificly not true according to
the wording of the GPL, and I quote:

  2. You may modify your copy or copies of the Program or any portion
of it, thus forming a work based on the Program, and copy and
distribute such modifications or work under the terms of Section 1
above, provided that you also meet all of these conditions:
    b) You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in
    whole or in part contains or is derived from the Program or any
    part thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third
    parties under the terms of this License.

Please note the "third party" clause there - if you distribute a GPLed
software or work based on GPLed code (any kind of distribution -
including distributing only to your dorm partner down the hall), you
must also license the work as a whole under the GPL to **everyone** !!

--
Oded

::..
Said by our freelancer DBA, when I asked him how long would a table
import take: "I think it'll take about half an hour, but I hope I'm
pessimistic."