Is this some kind of thread per client application?

If it is, you might like to take a look at the good old C library
select(2) api which has been somehow implemented in Java 1.4.x (see for
example, API doc java.nio.channels.SelectableChannel). I haven't used
this Java API myself, but if it's anything like the C select(), you can
handle many channels in a single thread or process, so cutting down the
total number of threads/processes. You'll need to check out the maximun
nunber of open filehandles allowed per process. You might need to do a
kernel compile to bring it upto something reasonable.

Anyway, that's my penny's worth for the day.

Daniel

Sobolevsky Vladek wrote:
Hi All,
I have problem to run more then 1000 threads on Linux.
I get Out of Memory error, the program written in Java so I suspect it
related
To Java thread implementation. This limitation applies only to one
process , I can run For example 2 processes that will use 900 threads each and it works
fine.

I am running Red Hat 7.2 , 2.4.18 kernel.
The machine is dual Intel , with 4Gb Ram. Please advice.

Thank you

Vladik