Haggai Eran wrote:

# /dev/cdrom symlink
BUS="ide", KERNEL="hd[a-z]", PROGRAM="/etc/udev/cdsymlinks.sh %k",
SYMLINK="%c{1} %c{2} %c{3} %c{4} %c{5} %c{6}"

On my machine /dev/hdc is a block device file of my cdrom, not a
symlink, and I can't
find which rule of udev is responsible for this (if at all).

It sounds like the original poster is missing his /dev/hd?, and I
suspect that cdsynlinks.sh
is not the answer.

I think this line is responsible for creating both the device file and the symlink to it.

(I'm taking this as an opportunity to sharpen my understanding of udev, so look
at the following as a sort of a question).

The line doesn't have a "NAME=" attribute therefore no file is supposed to be
created, only the symlinks as calculated by "cdsymlinks.sh" and used in the
"SYMLINK=" attribute.

True or false?

I'm basing my interpretaion of the line udev(8).

(besides, the comment just above the line implies to me that it's about the
symlinks only).

Cheers,

--Amos