On Thu, Sep 23, 2004, Omer Zak wrote about "Dominating the world of screen savers?":
> During the last few months, I noticed that the first thing, which people
> notice about my Linux installations, is the screensaver.

For several years I've been wondering why the concept of "screen saver"
even persists. Once upon a time, it was believed that constantly showing
the same screen can damage the display, so after some time of inactivity
a "screen saver" would run and show random, moving, graphics to prevent
this damage.

But quite a number of years ago, displays started to have standby modes,
whereby the display could be shut down by software (supposedly not damaging
the display in the process) and even save electricity in the process.
For many years now, this is what my "screen saver" does - shows a black
screen and after a few more minutes it moves the display to standby mode.

So I wonder why do people still use graphical screen savers. Is this the
"coolness factor"?

--
Nadav Har'El                        |     Thursday, Sep 23 2004, 8 Tishri 5765
Phone +972-523-790466, ICQ 13349191 |It is better to be thought a fool, then