I am planning to do a full disk backup of my desktop PC before installing Debian distribution on it. The total volume of data to be backed up is 13GB.
I do not have a DVD burner, and don't plan to buy one because I need to backup this quantity of data only once.

I am considering backing up to another hard disk, preferably in compressed form.

After creating the backup, I would like to be able to easily access it read-only should I need to inspect or restore individual files.

So I am asking about the existence of the following options for the above kernel version:
1. Compressed filesystems.
2. Loop-mounting a .tar.gz file as a compressed filesystem.
3. Another way to compress files.

Note that the compressed filesystems (if any) need to be readable from Kernel 2.4.18, because this will be what I'll use to recover from problems due to botched Debian installation (if any).

If no compressed filesystems are available or recommended for Kernel 2.4.18, I'll just tar&gzip the desktop files into a few *.tar.gz files and hope I'll not need to access individual files from them too frequently.
--- Omer

I may be affiliated in any way.