The mystery is still there, but the X-Window in my Debian Testing
installation is now operational.
What were my changes?
1. The video card driver was changed from 'vesa' to 'nv' (my video card is
GeForce FX 5200).  In RedHat8.0, 'vesa' worked.
2. I deleted the 1280x960 mode.  In RedHat8.0, this mode did not cause
problems.
3. The monitor identifier was changed from "___:ffff" to "Sony SDM-HS73",
because there is a bad omen associated with colons.  The RedHat8.0
configuration did not have colons in monitor identifiers.

Thanks to Micha Feigin for the effort, which he put into helping me.
                                             --- Omer
I may be affiliated in any way.