So we're either in hardware problem land or on something lower level.
Who's incharge of "adding the pcmcia slot to the pci bus?
hotplug? the /etc/init.d/pcmcia ?
I 'm not even sure if this is the correct model (rt2500) I just went
that way becauseof matan's reccomendations - Matan where did you learn
that the edimax 7108pcg is a rt2500?

I'm wrestling on installation of  windows 2k on the machine (needs
bios upgrade) to check the hardware problem (usually I do this the
other way around -run inthrough linux to make sure it's a hardware
problem).

> Lior, I taught you long ago that lspci _MUST_ be "-n" ;-)

Do you still remember pci ids by vendor ??!!
The whipping SCSI cable is more efficient when it doesn't need to do
name translation - I presume.

--
Peace Love and Penguins -
Lior Kesos