I've had ternmendous problems with skype and michrophone issues with kde.
In the end (through  hints supplied in skype - linux excelent forums
and coverage on sound problems) I foun dthat skype and other
microphone related programs like krec for instance use settings that
are set in gnome or generic based mixers.
After tinkering with aumix and gmix I found some microphone settings
that where set in them unmuted them and presto I had recording ...
This may be totally unrelated but I'm a stroung believer in hunch and
"intuazia" based system administration.

hope it helps -
Lior

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 23:45:16 +0200, Kfir Lavi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Peace Love and Penguins -
Lior Kesos