Look for resource starvation.

For example:
If the user tasks utilize a partition different from the one/s used by the
system tasks, and if the users' partition runs out of inodes, then you may
be having problems.

I have experienced inode starvation in /var once in a while, and it caused
surprisingly little damage to the system operation (this is why it took me
some time to understand why X-Server refused to start in a PC).

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004, Oded Arbel wrote:

> Hi list
>
> I have a real wierd problem with cron. its been bugging me for months
> now, but I just had this occured again, so its time to ask some one
> else:
>
> I'm using Vixie Cron 3.0.1 on Mandrake. There is a directory /etc/cron.d
> which contains additional crontab files (same format as /etc/crontab).
> Currently said directory has 4 files:
> - a file called 'msec' which runs the mandrake security monitor.
> - a link to a file under /usr/local which runs local system managment
> tasks (backup and web log anaylzer)
> - two files which contain user tasks.
>
> The problem is that every once in a while (maybe every two months),
> crond stops runing the user tasks - they don't execute and I don't even
> see a log line in /var/log/messages that crond is trying to run them or
> any error regarding. In the mean time, the other crond tasks (including
> the two other cron.d files) continue to run w/o a problem.

                                             --- Omer
I may be affiliated in any way.