On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 04:27:20PM +0200, Aviram Jenik wrote:
> On Wednesday 24 November 2004 09:02, Michael Ben-Nes wrote:
> > Hello
> >

> > apt-get -f install
> [...]
> > dpkg: error processing
> > /var/cache/apt/archives/libkrb5-dev_1.2.4-5woody6_i386.deb (--unpack):
> >  trying to overwrite `/usr/include/com_err.h', which is also in package
> > comerr-dev
>
> The purists have answered the "right" answers. Here is my quick-and-dirty
> method.
> The error is that 2 packages have the same file (/usr/include/com_err.h). But
> since you don't really care much about this file (i.e. it probably doesn't
> really matter which of the versions stay on your system, they might even both
> have the same version of the file)

IIRC rpm has a special case for a file conflict where the two files are
equal. Anybody?

> my solution is to do:
> dpkg -i --force-overwrite
> /var/cache/apt/archives/libkrb5-dev_1.2.4-5woody6_i386.deb
>
> This will manually install the package, forcing an overwrite of the offending
> file. After that, run
> apt-get -f install
> again, and repeat for any such errors that happen. Voila! the system is
> installed and you spent less than 10 seconds on it.

But with no idea what possible damage you might have caused.

OTOH, do you really need that package?

> I've been doing this for 2 years (happens to me once every few months) and
> haven't seen any downsides. But again- this is the 'quick and dirty' and not
> necessarily the "right" answer.

With -dev packages I always rather remove the packages (remove, not
purge). I know that if I ever need them to build other packages, those
packages will bother mentioning it to me, and I'll apt-get them back
easily.

However I try to never leave my system in an inconsistent state. Having
a different file "owned" by two packages can cause problems when I'll
try to build packages that depend on those files.

(and if I have no need for the file, I might as well remove the package)

It is not being much more purist than you (OK. I am, but it is more than
that). With apt and the like, removing and later reinstalling packages
is normally not such a big deal.

--
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]       +---------------------------+