AFAIK, if other packages depend on some user id, and it is only
created when some other package is installed, than they should depend
on that package, and it shouldn't have been removed in the first
place. Things that rc leaves are mostly etc configuration files, cron
scripts rc.d scripts and so on.

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 01:28:31 +0200, Shaul Karl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>   One user showed up today (Sunday, Nov 28th) in telux installation
> party, wondering why he has many debs in rc (== RemovedConfigured) state
> in his Debian derivative installation. He was told he can cheerfully
> purge those packages. This is wrong. He should throughly check that
> those packages don't have side effects, like a uid that other packages
> use. I am not sure what is the best method to carry on those
> verifications. Does a dry run of the post remove script sufficient? I
> guess that the easiest solution is to leave those packages as they are.
>   That user said he doesn't read linux-il. On the other hand, Eddie
> Aharonovitch seems to know him. He also seem to be participating on
> some forum. For Eddie Aharonovitch, that user was the one with the
> laptop that Eddie showed interest in.

Haggai Eran