Oded Arbel wrote:

We failed to transfer attempts due to no fault of either registrar (communication problem with the previous hosting provider which anoyingly listed his own email as the contact mail for my client), and by the time we got that straight the domain has already expired in godaddy's account information, only a quick whois discovered that while the domain was purchased only till 9/2004 and was then correctly marked as expired in godaddy account information, whois showed it registered to expire at 9/2005.

I heard a similar story about register.com. The only difference there was that they did, on purpose, delay the domain transfer, and then claimed expiry, requiring renewal. I think the moral of your story should be a different one. It should be:

- Never try to perform domain registrar transfers too close to the domain registration expiry -

At least in the case of transferring *to* godaddy, they honor whatever time is left on the expiry. If you register with register.com for two years, and then do a transfer, godaddy will ask you to buy at least one year, and then give you three years (2 that you already had, plus 1 on their own).

We then tried to do a transfer again only to receive a request (in the email to the current "owner") to pay an additional 20$ per domain for the transfer of an expired domain.

Like I said, don't transfer expired domains. You do realize that renewing + transferring would have costed you less?

We gave up and extended the godaddy account as it was much cheaper to do then pay the ransom money, but I would like to recommend everyone to stay away from them.

Perform domain transfers at least two months before expiry. Always. It doesn't matter who your registrar is, and who is the one you switch to.

Let's not forget that when you let your domain expire, you no longer own it. Anyone else could have hijacked it. At least you were lucky that the person who hijacked yours was willing to let you use it for a mere 9$/yr for one year (after which you can transfer it to anyone else). In short, I don't think it's such a bad damnation.

         Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting ltd.