I have a crazy and expensive suggestion:

Buy an hub and add 3rd computer to the network.

Then install, on the three computers, scripts, which ping each other
(say once a day).  When a network card fails, two computers will still
communicate with each other, and it'll be easy to find which computer is
not communicating with both.

On Mon, 2004-12-13 at 10:13, meh wrote:
> Josh Zlatin-Amishav wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 13 Dec 2004, Yosef Leibovich wrote:
> >
> >> I'm maintaining a peer-2-peer sometimes one of the network cards is
> >> getting corrupted. How can I detect which one is it ("failed to bring
> >> up eth0 doesn't really help...)?
> >

> > Hi Yosef,
> > At what point does the card get corrupted? Have you checked for carrier
> > errors on the cards?
>
> I don't know how to check carrier error.
> And about once a year one of the cards refuses to work so I'm forced to
> replace it.
                                         --- Omer

I may be affiliated in any way.