On Sun, 26 Dec 2004, Amit Roseberger wrote:

> Hi All.
> I am trying to build a Linux based (haven't yet decided on the exact
> distro/s) cluster for testing a complicated server side application.
> Building the cluster is not my problem though...
> What I need is an idea/software (open source or closed) that'll help me
> keep this cluster "sterile".
>
> When I say "sterile", I mean a software that'll help me keep/implement a
> few "states" in my cluster so that I could "revert" from one state to
> another relatively easy (in less then a few minuets to do the change).
>
> I guess that I am looking for a more sophisticated/flexible way to
> implement it then simply multi boot a few configurations and a more
> stable/robust method then Virtual Machines (which BTW I am using
> extensively for other needs).

VMWare has a mode, in which you can automatically lose all changes made to
a virtual hard disk since a given checkpoint, when you close a virtual
machine.
We use it extensively in Ozicom to assure sterile build environment when
building a version for release:
We build a virtual machine, install OS and SDK for building a software
version, and suspend it just when it is ready to accept a command to start
the build process.  We also set the virtual hard disk to revert to this
point each time we restart the virtual machine from the suspended state.

                                             --- Omer
I may be affiliated in any way.