Hi Tzafrir - thanks for the help ..

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 17:41:45 +0200, Tzafrir Cohen
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi
> before the pivot_root?

yes before the pivot this is how it indeed looks before the pivot_root :

> > /dev/ram0 on / type ext2 (rw)
> > none on /proc type proc (rw)
> > none on /sys type sysfs (rw)
> > /dev/dasdb1 on /mnt type ext2 (ro)

When I check after the pivot root it looks like this ..

/dev/dasda1 on / type ext3 (rw,acl,user_xattr)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,mode=0620,gid=5)
/dev/dasdc1 on /boot type ext2 (rw,acl,user_xattr)
/dev/dasdd1 on /usr type ext3 (rw,acl,user_xattr)

the wierd things here is that I'd excpect / to be /dev/dasdb1 but it's
actually /dev/dasda1 now - how are these mounted (fstab?) Maybe this
oddity can explain the behaviour.

> You're supposed to give init a "familiar" environment. Does init expect
> /initrd to be unmounted? Or maybe it has the code to unmount it on its
> own?
>
> The file /dev/initctl is probably simply the first file init tries to
> access on the root file system.

I think so as well the more I ponder in to this the more I feel it is
somekind of dasd numbering mixup..

thanks for the help -

--
Peace Love and Penguins -