Following the advice of Debian's ppp maintainer, I am trying the
rp-pppoe.so pppd plugin. Up to now I used the pppoe package. Any
comments so far?
It bothers me that syslog has several warnings about

    Couldn't increase MTU to 1500
    Couldn't increase MRU to 1500

I have tried to set the mtu and mru directives in the configuration file
as well as ifconfig eth mtu to something, but it didn't help. Googling
shows that many people got that warnings but no definite solution. So
far I didn't encounter real problems.

  As an aside, here are some quotations from the changelog.Debian.gz
file:

    ppp (2.4.2+20040428-4) unstable; urgency=medium

      * Updated patch pty_command_timeout, which broke the pty command.
        [A reminder for people still using the pppoe package: you should
        switch to the kernel driver and use the rp-pppoe.so pppd plugin.]

     -- Marco d'Itri <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  Tue,  2 Nov 2004 16:20:17 +0100

    ppp (2.4.2+20040428-3) unstable; urgency=low

       * Added to README.Debian a reminder about /etc/ppp/ppp_on_boot for
         the benefit of lusers who configure pppd to start two times.
         (Closes: #26982)

     -- Marco d'Itri <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  Sun, 31 Oct 2004 16:02:19 +0100

One other note: there is also a /usr/share/doc/ppp/README.pppoe and
/usr/share/doc/ppp/README.Debian.gz also mentions the TCPMSS issue for
iptables.