Danny Lieberman wrote:
Tazahi

I've been following this thread and I wanted to shed a different light:

I'm not a Microsoft advocate but lets get the facts straight:

a. MS Access developer is free in Office

No, it might not cost money but it is certianly not Free. :-)

b. The Academic licenses for Office are about 30% of the commercial MOLP which is about 20% of the single unit list price - so it costs peanuts for the Technion to develop in MS Access

Actually, I'm pretty sure the Technion can get a completly free deal on MS Access from icrosoft plus a fat donation if they promise to teach Access in their courses. I hope you and everyone else understand why this is not the issue.

c. MS Access runtime (Jet) is free for unlimited distribution

No it isn't - it costs the cost of a Window license since it cannopt be used without it.

d. You can use PHP on a Windows server to access the MDB database by ODBC since there is no limitation to using an MDB in a runtime server

You can use PHP on anything you want to access a MySQl, Postgress or SQLite database just the same. In fact, SQLite actually comes built in with PHP.

Second of all, with all due respect - this sort of smacks of "i'll bite off my nose to spite my face" (We dont use Access because ... )

Why don't you complete the sentence?

We don't use Access because it is not Free Software and we don't like to give someone else control over our tools of trade.

MS Access is a widely used tool,and when your students go out looking for work they'll have a much better shot at a job with Access than with Ruby.

If someone goes to the Technion to get a job he is a going to the wrong place.

Think of it like this - it's a tool and engineering schools like the Technion are supposed to teach you to find & use tools. If the best tool for this job is a pocket knife thats the tool
I would expect a Technion grad to use.

Actually what I would expect from the Technion is to teach you how to *think*, not use tools. And for that a closed software program simply wouldn't do.

Gilad

-- Gilad Ben-Yossef <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Codefidence. A name you can trust(tm) Web: http://codefidence.com | SIP: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Tel: +972.9.8650475 ext. 201 | Fax: +972.9.8850643

"I am Jack's Overwritten Stack Pointer"
        -- Hackers Club, the movie