On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 06:04:35PM +0200, Shoshannah Forbes wrote:

> On 23/01/2005, at 23:36, Shlomi Fish wrote:
>
> >I'm not sure that's the right place for it. You need root permissions
> >modify /etc/X11/XF86Config. Putting it there does not make sense on
> >Linux.
>
> Since this topic came up anyway: I know gnome allows different users to
> have different screen resolution settings (on the same machine).
>
> Anybody know if there is a way to set that independently of gnome? The
> xorg.conf file seems rather system-wide,  which is a strange thing for
> a multi-user system.
>
> Any pointers? Thanks!

I do not know how gnome does it, but it probably uses the RANDR
extension. You can probably do this yourself, but it's not built
into the default configs of most distros I have seen.
The main tool is a little program called xrandr. Read its manpage.
Then create some kind of interface that allows the user to choose
their favourite resolution, among those available (I know there is
a GUI for the selection itself, don't recall its name - I think
it's part of gnome - and you can use xrandr to see what is the
current selection), keep it somewhere (e.g. $HOME/.myresolution),
and patch the session starter (usually /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession or
/etc/gdm/Xsession or something like that) to switch to this res
before running the actual session program.
--
Didi