I have a RedHat 9 system.  Everything seems to be working fine.  I tried
to do an ls /var/www/html and the command hangs.  Doing the same on other
directories is fine.  I assume that some process has the directory open
which is why the ls is hanging.  I tried restarting httpd but that didn't
help.

1. How can I find out why ls is hanging on that particular directory?
lsof blocks as well.  Running lsof with -b runs but doesn't list any open
files in /var/www
2. What would cause this to happen?  Is this an indication that the system
has been compromised?

On a different topic, what is the recommended way for keeping a RedHat 9
system up to date?

Thanks,
David Suna
David's Consultants R.G.A Ltd