Gilboa is pretty much on the mark here although their not totally identical.
As gilboa stated em64t implements sse3 instructions (while amd64
support sse2) and amd64 support the 3dNOW! instruction
They both return the same value in uname -m in most kernels so don't
let that confuse you.
A very comprehensive document we've found on the matter resides here...

http://www-zeuthen.desy.de/~schoene/unter_texte/texte/amd64_znsem.pdf

It covers both the differences,similiarities, history, cpu
layouts,benchmarks and linux distributions available for these
architectures and much more..

hope this helps..
Lior.

--