On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 02:08:38 +0200, Shaul Karl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 07:07:35PM +0200, Arik Baratz wrote:
> >
> > Don't tell them you're using Linux. Big mistake.
>
>   I believe you are wrong. That doesn't mean they will support it. But
> they won't hang up either. I do believe that these days many supporters
> on the support desk are interested in other OSs too.

I'm sorry, Shaul, but in those times when the network is down and I
needed support, the people I had spoken to had me (get this!) take a
laptop, plug it to my ADSL network, change my ADSL address back to the
original 10.0.0.138, set up a fixed address of 10.200.1.1 on my
laptop, and try to login. Of course it wouldn't work that way as well.

My strategy is to try to avert the subject as much as I can, for
instance, if I see 'LCP Timeout' I just say timeout, etc, and the
supporter assumes I am using windows. In these rare cases when I did
tell the supporter I am using Linux, he asked me if I can switch BACK
to Windows and check again. So I tell the guy "okay, switching... Hold
on... Nope, didn't work"

The only times I was successful was when I insisted that I was working
the exact same way for a year and didn't change my setup.

Favorite ISP support dialog:

Me: "Hello, I have a problem with the backup DNS you are hosting for us..."
or
Me: "Hello, I am having problem running traceroute on your net"
or
Me: "Hello, for some reason I can't ping a host on your network"
Supporter: "Can you surf okay?"

-- Arik