On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 09:02:53PM +0200, Maxim Kovgan wrote:
> On ×', 2005-02-14 at 20:24 +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > What is the proper way to do it ?
> I think you should use X11 enabled cron-like tools.
> if you use gnome - there's evolution ...  or kalarm in kde ...
> and...maybe there's some WMaker DockApp.
> The general problem is - to have the DISPLAY variable set properly and
> xauth credentials too.
> i AM not so concentrated on this subj, but there's also an OSD wrapper,
> so you can print your messages on X display too.
>
> the points you should look at:
> 1. DISPLAY variable.
> 2. X11 access rights - xauth extract/merge , xhost + 127.0.0.1  etc.
> 3. spawning the term/osd whatever proggie should be from the allowed
> user and into the allowed display/server.
>
> I still think Kalarm/Korganizer/Evolution can do the job well too.
>
> Best regards,
> Max

Hi Maxim,
Thanks for your answer. I do use neither kde nor gnome (I use
blackbox as window manager).
A good night's sleep helped finding a simple practical solution:
Transfer the line:
"[ $TERM = xterm ] && test `who | grep -v tty | grep avraham | wc
-l` = 1 &&  /home/avraham/scripts/remind 14 | bidiv | view -"
(it's slightly modified to avoid redisplaying the same stuff
every time I open a new xterm)
   from .bash_profile to .bashrc.

I am still in the dark about the proper way to use the -e option
of xterm. Any pointer beyond the man page is welcome.

Cheers, Avraham