Well, many years ago (not 20, but still quite a few) I came to the
conclusion that as a regular user I want . in my PATH, but only in the
last position. It is a matter of convenience, and the security problem
associated with it is limited as long as I am wearing my unpriviledged
user hat.

I never add . to my root user PATH, because I am paranoid.

This is the compromise I found suitable for me, and it has worked very
well for me for all these years. I am not a newbie, of course, and it
does not take much effort not to call executables "test" or use "tar"
as an abbreviation for "targil" ;-). Of course, the system tar will be
invoked, and most likely fail since the command-line arguments will
match its expectations only by a rather improbable coincidence.

--
Oleg Goldshmidt | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | http://www.goldshmidt.org