On Thu, 28 Apr 2005, Tzahi Fadida wrote:

> I am using the /proc/sys/vm/block_dump
> to see reading and writing of blocks for a process.
> I am looking at the postgresql database process.
> When I run a query for the first time I see a lot of
> READs. but the next times I run it, it doesn't show
> READs, suggesting the kernel have cahced those blocks
> somewhere. Even if I get out of the program and reenters
> it doesn't help. I also disabled the swapfile just in case(probably not
> related).
> How can I flush this caching?

1. reboot the machine ;)
2. umount and re-mount the file system whose files you want un-cached
   (upon umount, all cached pages of the umounted file system are freed by
   the kernel).
3. modify the kernel's source to avoid caching on a per-filesystem
   (perhaps add an option to the mount command stating "no cache"?).
   not sure how easy this is ;)

something else about caching (summary: the cache holds both data and
meta-data, and it is the later that's more expensive to access):
http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0209.0/0929.html

--
guy

"For world domination - press 1,