On Fri, 29 Apr 2005, Gil Freund wrote:

> On 4/29/05, guy keren <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > perhaps you didn't dig into the thing - it uses the linux system as a
> > console OS, not as a host OS. the guest machines do not run on top of this
> > linux system at all. all the device drivers that are useable by the guest
> > machines were modified - if you compile and load a normal driver, it will
> > be accessibleby the linux console machine, but it cannot be accessed by
> > the guest machines.
[snip]
> > but contrariwise, ESX is supposed to give better performance for the guest
> > machines - please check your claims before spreading this info...
>
> Please read again. I am not spreading info, I am requesting info.
> As VMware/EMC licencing prohibit benchmark publications, nor do they
> provide such information, I am trying to find what the underlining
> differences are.

well, i think you got what you could get without asking vmware themselves,
or having some inside information ;)

> Consider, if you will, the differences between MS-Exchange standard
> and enterprise additions. It is the same application with hard coded
> limits in the standard addition. I.e. it is a marketing and not a
> technical issue.
> Data-Ontap (netapp) has all functionality built into the core OS, it
> only has to be licences. Again, a marketing decision.

consider the differences between suzuky swift and suzuky baleno. the swift
has all the functionality of the baleno - they both have 4 wheels, an
engine, a roof, 4 doors... oops, the swift actually has 5 doors - so it's
better, isn't it? again, a marketing decision ;)

> > note: i didn't deal with GSX other thenreading about it. i did, however,
> > had the "pleasure" of trying to disect ESX for some purpose, and was quite
> > surprised to find how it works.
>
> If I understand you correctly, then ESX is similar to XEN in the sence
> that there is another Kernel running in ring 0 and that the console OS
> is a privileged (Dom0 in XEN talk) guest.
> GSX would then be closer in concept to UML or QEMU.

the console OS is a console OS, not a guest OS. it gets access to the
hardware via a completely different route. how exactly? that's beyond me.

whether ESX works as XEN or not - i can only guess.

you can download an evaluation version of ESX (you might need to talk to
vmware to get an eval key). you can also scan vmwre's web site for the
open-source part of their system (i.e. the changes they made to the linux
kernel and to various applications such as apache) and through that gain
some understanding about the internal workings. good luck finding the URL
- it's "hidden" in the README file you get with the ESX instalation CD ;)

--
guy

"For world domination - press 1,