The rpm verify option (rpm -Va ?) will compare the files to the ones in the rpmdb but a skilled hacker could theoretically modify that as well...
The same goes for logs any script kiddie runs the zap something script to erase himself from the logs the minute he gains root.
I'd run chkrootkit just to be on the same side but relax as well trusting the statistics that say that most of the abuse going around in the networks is windows related.
Lior