On Sun, May 22, 2005 at 11:01:40AM +0300, Ira Abramov wrote:
> Quoting Alex Alexander, from the post of Sun, 22 May:
> >
> > Grub worked fine for me on a RAID-1 dual SATA machine.
> >
> > Debian Installer (RC3 - pre-final) installed grub on the first drive
> > and the machine boots like a charm. You just have to
> >
> > grub
> > root (hd1,0)
> > setup (hd1)
> >
> > to make the second harddisk bootable (in case the first one fails).
>
> "just have to" is not good enough.  not documented enough, and what's
> with having to learn yet another commandline with non-standard disk
> enumeration and partition numbering?

What's the equivalent with lilo?

> this MAY be excellent for someone
> who uses it daily maybe but I need it only once every few weeks or
> months, Muggles will only use it once a year or less.

And those people will need grub even less, hence the
under-docuemntation. Lilo needs re-running on every kernel installation,
unlike grub. Device files are a strange convention to follow. What
happens in a chroot environment? To grub you simply tell "boot from the
first disk on the system".

> Why should someone
> start searching non-existant info pages each time?!

use grub-install and not grub or grub-setup for simple cases.

> the lilo.conf file
> is so much simpler that I rarely needed the manpage other than for smart
> menucoloring or password features, which are definitely perks more than
> basic features.

It's simpler because you're used to its limitations and to lilo's way of
thinking. lilo uses devices.

BTW: grub-install can use device-files, but it will not do for the above
example of a raid. If you really want, you can script around the
problem, or bug your distro to do so.

--
Tzafrir Cohen         | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | VIM is
[EMAIL PROTECTED] |                           |  best