Shlomi Fish wrote:
On Tuesday 24 May 2005 23:54, Uri Bruck wrote:

Shlomi Fish wrote:

do you think it is desirable to enforce a law that prevents people from
ripping a CD/eBook/DVD/whatever and sharing it online? Do you think it
would be practical? Do you think that it is a crime to do that?

Technology advances, and law and philosophy must advance with it.

Just for the record, I'll re-iterate a story that RMS likes to tell. He
said that when he was in elementary school his teacher encouraged the
class to share their candies with their friends. And today, it is the
opposite: "No Tommy, don't share your software/music/video/whatever. It's
illegal."

You're missing a big point here Shlomi. You can share your
software/music/video/whatever, but what I create isn't yours, it's mine,
and it's up to me how it should be distributed and shared.

The copyrights to the work you create are yours. The copy of the work is mine. When children (or teenagers, or adults) make copies of CDs/DVDs/mp3s/etc. they do it so they can share these copies along with their friends. They don't see nothing wrong with it. Don't you think it may be an indication that there _isn't_ something wrong with it.
That's the "everybody's doing it" argument. There's a whole of a lot of immoral and illegal stuff you can "justify" with that.

Are you approving of teachers telling the school children to "Do not share your music with the other children. Copying copyrighted work is wrong!"? According to RMS, the belief that sharing anything is wrong causes great damages to society because it makes people more reluctant to sharing.

I want people to learn to respect other people's feeling, creations, property, etc. You want to coerce everyone into sharing. Worse, you want people to learn that it's ok to coerce others to share. That's not the altruism taught by encouraging people to share, it's a warped version of altruism which uses mock altruistic language to justify being a bully.

When copyright law was formulated there were no means to easily, quickly and efficiently copy content. But even when some of them were introduced (Xerox machines, Betamax/VHS tapes, Audio Cassettes, etc.) the general belief was that it is OK to make copies of your artwork to your friends. (at least at little or no cost).
Whose general belief? What are you basing this assumption on?

--
Thanks,
Uri