On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 04:59:55PM +0300, Nadav Har'El wrote:
> On Tue, May 24, 2005, avraham wrote about "makeindex and Hebrew indices":
> > Hi,
> > I tried to create and index for a multilanguage list. To this
> > Is there a version of makeindex that supports Hebrew, or some
> > trick to obtain a Hebrew index with the present tools.
>

> A (rather large) number of years ago, I was bothered by the same issue,
> and wrote a makeindex style to support mixed Hebrew indices. Or more
> accurately, an index that can be plugged into a Hebrew document (has the
> "Hebrew look" and column ordering), and allows both Hebrew and English terms.
>
> I'm not sure that this is what you want. If it is, you can find the code
> in http://ftp.ivrix.org.il/pub/ivrix/src/cmdline/tex/heblib209-1.7.tar.gz
> but it's so tiny that I'll cut-and-paste it below.
> Note that this package is pretty old (6 years since I made the last release)
> and aimed at the old LaTeX 2.09, so it might not work for you out of the
> box. Also, getting this to work properly required me to fix quite a few bugs
> in the old Hebrew support for LaTex 2.09, such as getting multiple columns
> to work correctly - and I don't know if these fixes were ever done for the
> currect LaTeX 2e support.  But you can probably learn a few tricks from what
> I did, and hopefully port it to the modern framework and post the resulting
> code on this list.
>
> I'll conclude with the tiny code itself from the aforementioned package,
> and the adjoined readme file.
>
> README
> ------
>
> WHY HEBREW SUPPORT IS NEEDED FOR MAKEINDEX
>
>   The problem with creating a hebrew index with makeindex is that it requires
> the .idx file created by the indexing commands to have page numbers as real
> numbers, and hebrew "fixes" like putting \L{num} on them does not work.
>   However, the page numbers must be fixed by makeindex, or otherwise they will
> appear as bare numbers on the created .idn files, and will appear in reverse
> on the resulting document.
>
> THE HEBREW SUPPORT
>
>   Luckily, makeindex lets us intervene at the stage before the .idn is
> created,
> and wrap the numbers by the appropriate commands to make them appear correctly
> on hebrew. This is done by creating a "makeindex style file", hebrew.ist,
> containing these directions.
>
> USING THE HEBREW SUPPORT
>
>   Makeindex for hebrew documents with an hebrew index should now be run with
> the following command:
>
>      makeindex -s hebrew.ist ...
>
> hebrew.ist
> ----------
>
> delim_0 ", \\Lnum{"
> delim_1 ", \\Lnum{"
> delim_2 ", \\Lnum{"
> delim_t "}"
>
> % to reverse list "4,6 םולש" to "6,4 םולש"
> delim_n "}, \\Lnum{"
> % to reverse range
> delim_r "}\L{--}\\Lnum{"
>

> --
> [...]

Hi Nadav,
Thanks and I'll try it although it seems that the problem is
different. In my case, makeindex just does not accept the entries
if the labels are in Hebrew:
This is makeindex, version 2.14 [02-Oct-2002] (kpathsea + Thai support).
Scanning input file numbersright.idx...done (0 entries accepted, 6 rejected).
Nothing written in numbersright.ind.
Transcript written in numbersright.ilg.

When I use numerical labels or labels in English, the outcome is
more involved: sometimes I get (in the idx file) entries of the
type: \indexentry{a0023}{\@@number {4}}, which I have to edit to:
\indexentry{a0023}{4}, otherwise makeindex refuses to accept them
and sometimes i get the correct entries. It's not yet clear to me
which features in the tex file determine the one or the otherkind
of behaviour.  I don't know yet if the page numbers come out
correctly or reversed (all my experiments were made so far with
one-digit page numbers). And I did not try yet to use the
multi-column environement in Hebrew. In English it gave no problems.
I'll report after trying these.
Cheers, Avraham