Jonathan Ben Avraham wrote:

On Wed, 25 May 2005, Alexander Indenbaum wrote:

On 5/25/05, Alex Rier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi,

Breakthrough Ltd provides Software Development and System Administration
Services. For more information see www.breakt.co.il

FYI
This is *THE WORST* company I had interview at. Offered me slave
salary and working conditions.

Then come interview with TkOS! We'll offer you even *less* for longer hours.

Now seriously - Alex Rier's breakt is one of a handful of small companies that are actually trying to survive in the Linux support market. They guy is a hero for even trying, and deserves a "tsalash* for staying with it as long as he has. He is not living from speculators money, he lives from the sweat of his brow. He is offering a job - an opportunity for the right person at the right time. If you go to work for him, it's not just for the money. So cut him some slack if you really believe in Linux. And if you really want it, I have a long list of great places to work that pay even less.

All patriotism aside, I disagree.

I am not in this business as long as you are, nor employ as many people as you do. Still, I think I have earned some right to an opinion about this (and according to your definition above, am I also a hero?).

A business owner is a business owner. An employee is an employee. I will not hire anyone but a Linux enthusiastic, because anyone else is not very useful to me. Still, I believe that people I employ should be payed, fairly. I may not be at the top of the salary survey (what small business is?), but I know that I can demand from myself, as the owner of the company, things I am not entitled to demand from my employees.

It is very easy for an employer to see the sacrificies he (or she) is willing to make, and demand the same from his employees. Unless you are giving your employees shares in your company, however, I believe this view to be wrong, pure and simple.

And to everyone else. Lingnu is now hiring a Sysadmin/support person, with a touch of system level development (i.e. - no C/C++ programming knowledge required, but you will be expected to know how to patch shell scripts and use CVS). The salary is not extremely high, but I've made every effort for it to be fair (and if a really quallified person comes along, even VERY fair).

Yes, the applicant is expected to derive pleasure from the fact he or she is helping an open source company along, helping customers use Linux more, and from the actual work. This is expected to be the things that will make the applicant stay, not the things that will make them give up a proper salary for.

Regards,

  - yba

Applicants are welcome to send resumes to [EMAIL PROTECTED], BTW. http://mirror.hamakor.org.il/archives/linux-il/04-2005/14907.html

         Shachar