From: Shlomi Fish [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 1:58 PM
To: Imri Zvik
Subject: Re: Acting against anti-file-swapping Lawsuits in Israel

On Wednesday 25 May 2005 13:11, you wrote:
> Shlomi,
>
> It's not a matter of if in your ideal imaginary world such thing
should
> be legal, and one person who bought a copy of a
> book/cd/dvd/software/whatever could redistribute it (with, or without
> payment) to the whole wide world.

Hmmm...

> In the real world, redistributing copyrighted materiel without
approval
> is ILLEGAL, it doesn't matter if the term for it is "stealing" or
> anything else - it would still make you a CRIMINAL.

Please don't call me a criminal. Especially if I only violated an
unethical
law. I also don't call drug users/traders/etc. criminals, because the
drug
prohibition laws are unethical.

> if you do that, why
> would anyone pay for it? The whole economic system would collapse, and
> millions will lose their jobs, and the ability to buy food.

The economic system will not collapse, because people still don't
_steal_ (not
copy, mind you) food, or tools, or machines, or other things which
cannot be
represented as bit-buckets. Most of the economic system is about
producing,
trading, and using such physical entities, without which we as human
beings
cannot live at all or live at comfort.

So don't BS me.

> In the bottom line, Shlomi, you are trying to find excuses for being a
> cheap-ass, who is trying to avoid paying for your pleasures.

When I go to the cinema or to a concert or to Disney World or to a
vacation,
etc. I pay because they provide me with a greater experience than I can
provide myself at my own home. And it involves a physical experience
too,
greater than just sitting on my computer or at home listening to a song
or
watching a movie or whatever.

OTOH, why should I necessary pay for a bit bucket, which costs close to
zero
to reproduce. FYI, an entity that makes money out of selling a product
whose
development cost may be very large, but the cost of producing a single
unit
is zero, is simply called a "parasite" in economics. If it costs zero to

mass-produce and re-distribute, one should not complain if people copy
or
re-distribute it on their own. There's nothing wrong with that.

> This is the
> law, and this is our economic system, deal with it.

It may be the law, but it's an unethical law. And the economic system
will not
fall if people completely stopped paying for bit buckets. (not to
mention,
that I don't think it will happen).

> This thread is the most idiotic thread ever seen on this list - don't
> you people have better topics to discuss?

I've seen more idiotic threads.

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish

Shlomi Fish      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Tcl is LISP on drugs. Using strings instead of S-expressions for
closures
is Evil with one of those gigantic E's you can find at the beginning of
paragraphs.