--0-1301878589-1121550565=:70948

Linux has a netlink socket interface for exactly this purpose.
(the other common mode is offcourse ioctl).

We have donated code to ACE that implement the netlink Facade.
tell me if you are interested.

Hillel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Thanks for all the answers.
Although I was interested in up to date information, I am actually
working on an existing 2.4 module, that currently reads run-time
parameters using ioctl. I played a little with procfs, but it seems
rather similar to an ioctl (a little safer maybe, but basically
similar). I will check out netlink sockets too.

In the mean time, I read a little on sysfs, and it seems it's the
recommended way on 2.6, as it combines the type-safety of /proc with a
structured clean interface.
Quoting Love's "linux kernel development": "sysfs is currently /the
place /for implementing functionality previously reserved for ioctl()
calls on device nodes or the procfs filesystem ... Such an approach
avoids the type-unsafe use of obscure ioctl() arguments and the
haphazard mess of /proc"

Pity I am on 2.4 ;-).

Regards
Hillel

--0-1301878589-1121550565=:70948

<DIV>Linux has a netlink socket interface for exactly this purpose.</DIV>
<DIV>(the other common mode is offcourse ioctl).</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>We have donated code to ACE that implement the netlink Facade.</DIV>
<DIV>tell me if you are interested.<BR><BR><B><I>Hillel &lt;[EMAIL
PROTECTED]&gt;</I></B> wrote:</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px;
BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">Thanks for all the answers.<BR>Although I was
interested in up to date information, I am actually<BR>working on an existing
2.4 module, that currently reads run-time<BR>parameters using ioctl. I played a
little with procfs, but it seems<BR>rather similar to an ioctl (a little safer
maybe, but basically<BR>similar). I will check out netlink sockets
too.<BR><BR>In the mean time, I read a little on sysfs, and it seems it's
the<BR>recommended way on 2.6, as it combines the type-safety of /proc with
a<BR>structured clean interface.<BR>Quoting Love's "linux kernel development":
"sysfs is currently /the<BR>place /for implementing functionality previously
reserved for ioctl()<BR>calls on device nodes or the procfs filesystem ... Such
an approach<BR>avoids the type-unsafe use of obscure ioctl() arguments and
the<BR>haphazard mess of /proc"<BR><BR>Pity I am on 2.4

 unsubscribe, send mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with<BR>the word "unsubscribe" in
the message body, e.g., run the command<BR>echo unsubscribe | mail [EMAIL
PROTECTED]<BR><BR></BLOCKQUOTE><p>
                <hr size=1>Do you Yahoo!?<br>
<a
href="http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/virus/*http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail/static/protection.html";>Yahoo!
 Mail</a> - Helps protect you from nasty viruses.
--0-1301878589-1121550565=:70948--