On Tue, Aug 16, 2005 at 07:43:43PM +0300, Lior Kaplan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using Debian's exim4 to sendmail from my computer to other using the
>  'smarthost' settings.
>
> Since I have a cable connection, I must authenticate myself to the SMTP
> server. How can I do that in exim4? I try the examples provided in the
> config files, and no change.
>
> I can install exim4-daemon-heavy to solve this, but that is an overkill.
>
> Any advises?

  Here is what I did for 013's mail server:

    root # cat /etc/exim4/conf.d/main/90_exim4-config_SMTP-AUTH

    ### main/90_exim4-config_SMTP-AUTH
    ##################################

    # SMTP-AUTH client configuration.
    # See /usr/share/doc/exim4-base/README.SMTP-AUTH for explanations.

    AUTH_CLIENT_ALLOW_NOTLS_PASSWORDS = mail.013.net

    root # cat /etc/exim4/passwd.client
    ### CONFDIR/passwd.client
    #
    # Format:
    #targetmailserver.example:login:password
    #
    # default entry:
    ### *:bar:foo

    mail.013.net:user_name:password

  And restart exim: /etc/init.d/exim4 restart.

  I do hope I haven't forgotten something. You might notice that I am
using the multiple files configuration method.
  Do let us know if your ISP uses a more sophisticated authentication
method. Which reminds me: how come using cables has to do with
authentication to the ISP mail server?