On 8/18/05, Baruch Even <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Amos Shapira wrote:
> > On 8/18/05, Baruch Even <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>You can always use alternatives to keep gcc 3.3 as your default.
> >

> > That's actually the original source of my question - aptitude lists gcc
> > 4 as REPLACING the current gcc 3.x, not as coming in addition to it,
> > (possibly because of the major incompatibilities?) otherwise I would
> > have just ignored it for now.
>
> I have gcc 3.3, 3.4 and 4.0 coexisting peacefully. There shouldn't be
> any problem with that. There is no replaces or conflicts set in gcc 4.0
> with regard to gcc 3.3

So how come aptitude puts them on the same line?
I mean it certainly looks like if I asked to update gcc then
it will uninstall version 3.3.5 and install 4.0.1.

I know that the gcc front end is designed to support multiple
concurrent versions but it looks like the gcc 4 package will
replace the gcc 3.

To remind you - I'm on Testing ("etch"?).

--Amos