On 9/24/05, Amos Shapira <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 9/23/05, Alexander Indenbaum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On 9/23/05, Maxim Kovgan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > You may consider Gigabit network infrastructure - i.e. buy Cat6 cables.
> >
> > I think for intra-home usage and internet connectivity fast/100mb
> > infrastructure will be sufficient till year 2010 at least :)
>
> Which will happen in less than 5 years.

Actually, by 2010 I meant "the time when humans will visit Jupiter"
More info at: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086837/

> Don't think that just because it sounds rediculous today it's not going to
> come. I'd side with Maxim's recommandation on this one, especially that
> I expect that the relative addition to price isn't high(?). Heck - I'd look
> for
> the most advanced LAN technology I can afford which will be relevant
> for the next 10-20 years and put it now. It's mostly a matter of how much
> will you save if you avoid the "best" option.

I'm not sure that this particular case falls under bigger - better category.

I'd like to remind you that modern PC hardware could not utilize 1G
bandwidth network - it really can't in most cases :) There is neither
enough CPU horse power nor enough memory bandwidth. That is why I
doubt that 1G Ethernet technology is ready for deployment as my home
backbone.

Saying that I agree that high-end industrial server room or from other
hand distributed system/cluster interconnect would benefit from 1G
Ethernet.

> BTW - do you have enough spare room in your tunnles to add cables later?

Hopefully.

> Remember how just a few years ago cellulars that do video-conference
> (or even just PTT gadgets style Star-Trek) looked like science fiction and
> now you can't remember when you first saw it in the street, now imagine
> having to buy a new set of cables and having to re-wire your home in just
> 4-5 years.

And I thought cell phones are for making calls :)