Thanks Ilya, this seems very interesting.

We've been having a different kind of problem:

   The linux machines use the right-windows-key for language-switch,
thus avoiding the problem you described.
However, the trouble is that very frequently windows gets into a "sticky
alt" state (as if rdesktop forgot to send the 'release' event for some
ALT keypress - the way to get back to normal is press the ALT in Linux,
then release it while in Windows).
  Some time ago our sysadmin fixed this by some X keyboard remapping (I
think he fixed some sort of mixup between ALT and META), but recently
the problem came back (with extra malice - now there's also sticky CTRL
and sticky left-ALT).

  This thing was driving me crazy lately, so I was anxious to try out
your tip.
When I run rdesktop with '-k none' the 'sticky' nightmare seems to be
gone, BUT - now some important keys (the normal arrows,
insert/end/home/del) are completely ignored ...

 Any idea what's going on?

                    Amit