On Sat, Oct 08, 2005 at 12:55:40AM +0300, Omer Zak wrote:
> Today I upgraded my laptop from Debian Sarge to Debian Etch.
> After editing the /etc/apt/sources.list file, I used:
>   apt-get update
>   apt-get dist-upgrade
> And then I ran few upgrade rounds through aptitude.
>
> I encountered the following problems:
>
> 1. The udev package could not be upgraded, because the recent version
> depends upon kernel version >= 2.6.13, and I have kernel version 2.6.8.
> I do not consider it to be serious problem.  But I have to review the
> HOWTO how to upgrade to new kernel version in Debian (including addition
> of extra GRUB menu option, to select the new kernel).

This is going to be painful:

apt-get install linux-image-2.6-686 # maybe something else instaled of 686
reboot                               # the painful part

The setup of the new kernel automatically puts the package with the
"largest" number first, so it should be the default for the new kernel.

(The above is untested. I hope "linux-image-2.6-686" exists...)

> 1. There is an old problem with the way aptitude displays information:
> In my computers, apt-listbugs is enabled, and when I upgrade, the bugs
> in new packages are listed.  The problem is that when I upgrade several
> packages, several bugs are listed and they scroll off the top of the
> console display (I always run aptitude from a virtual terminal, not from
> a X-Window terminal emulator).

Isn't there a log?

--
Tzafrir Cohen         | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | VIM is
[EMAIL PROTECTED] |                           |  best