I've bought a 12" ibook about three months ago serving as my home
laptop (basically a wireless client +media machine for my living
room).
I'm very happy with the discs ion I made.
I have alll of the power of the unix shell under the hood and being
the eye-candy sucker that I am am widely impressed by the UI and
general user experience.
My favorite apps are:
1. ical(Calander): which I've started to use with remote calenders
stored at http:/www..icalx.com
I love the drawer which stores extra info and the ability to add
comments inline to a meeting.
2. ITerm:  The closest terminal to konsole I could find has tabs and
is pretty customizable ( I miss being able to rename a tab through the
keyboard (like alt-ctrl s in konsole) but it's cool.
3. Last but definitely the coolest app - QuickSilver -
http://quicksilver.blacktree.com/
Absolutely the coolest application I've seen totally canceling the
need to traverse through directories - amazing UI and endless
plugins...
4. MPlayer OS/X: I blew a mac expert friend of mine that claimed you
couldn't see divx's with hebrew subtitles with mplayer using fribidi
to touch up the subs.

Everything "Simply Works" and the onlly down fall I still have (which
is shared by linux as well) is the non standard israeli site support
through camino (native gecko browser).

I found it not to be that expensive I bought mine used through ebay
for around 800$ but a new one costs 1k$ in the states.
It was my 30th birthday gift from myself and family and have been one
of my best decisions (weighed against a X series thinkpad).

It's a great solution if you're not  to religious about open source
and are willing to spend around 5k nis on a laptop.

happily content with the outcome of `sed s/linux/OSX/g`
lior

--
Peace Love and Penguins -
Lior Kesos