On ב', 2005-11-07 at 21:51 +0200, David Harel wrote:
> > If your card doesn't have an internal MIDI synthesizer, you'd have to
> > use a software synthesizer. For this, I've successfully used Timidity in
> > its 'ALSA sequencer client' configuration. I never checked but timidity
> > might also have an option to be serve as the synthesizer in OSS-driven
> > sound systems.
> Does the software synthesizer have to use "midi loopback device"?

Not necessarily. A software synthesizer can just take a MIDI file,
synthesize the wave sound out of it and save it to disk (or send it
to /dev/dsp).

In a "loopback device" configuration, it serves as a server to other
applications; it receives commands from the MIDI loopback device and
then renders the wave into /dev/dsp or whatever. Other applications,
such as KMidi, don't have to be aware whoever provides the MIDI
synthesises service; they just play to the MIDI device.