Quoting Ilya Konstantinov, from the post of Tue, 08 Nov:
> > In other words, how do I get an AP to work on a Zydas?
>
> You improve the driver. Unless you can do 'iwconfig wirelessIface mode
> Master', your driver doesn't support AP mode. I don't know whether this
> is only a software constraint or whether there's a physical reasons some
> WiFi cards don't support AP mode...

setting it to master works without complaints, it even comes with a
small app for windows on the OEM's CD that turn's it to a windows AP. at
least in theory, since the little app crashes windows before I can ever
test it :)

The problem is the following bit of hostapd.conf:

# Driver interface type (hostap/wired/madwifi/prism54; default: hostap)
# driver=hostap

from the README:

Current hardware/software requirements:
- drivers:
          Host AP driver for Prism2/2.5/3.
        (http://hostap.epitest.fi/)
        Please note that station firmware version needs to be 1.7.0 or newer
        to work in WPA mode.

        madwifi driver for cards based on Atheros chip set (ar521x)
        (http://sourceforge.net/projects/madwifi/)
        Please note that you will need to modify the hostapd Makefile
        to use correct path for madwifi driver root directory
        (CFLAGS += -I../head line in Makefile).

        Prism54 driver for Intersil/Conexant Prism GT/Duette/Indigo
        (http://www.prism54.org/)

and I'm wondering why should it be card specific, and what's in an AP
other than a small dhcp-like component?

--
Smooth operator
Ira Abramov