On Friday, 9 בDecember 2005 15:14, Josh Zlatin-Amishav wrote:
> I have a Nokia 6100 cell phone. I bought a USB to Serial adapter
> cable which when connected to my Debian laptop the box automaticlly
> loads the pl2303 driver. I am able identify the phone via the
> following command: gnokii --identify, So I believe the cable
> connection is working.
>
> According to Cellcom I need to create a dialer and dial *99# to
> connect to the Internet from my laptop through the cell phone. I
> added this number to my minicom settings and when I dial the number I
> receive "CONNECT", some gibberish and then nothing.

That sounds like a very reasonable response.

> The laptop does
> not receive an IP address.

Did you try to use a dialer (such as pppd or one of its frontends) ? If
you did, then please provide more details about what you tried and what
errors did you get.

> Has anyone succesfully connected a
> computer to the Internet via Cellcom through a Nokia 6100 cell phone?

From your description it seems like you expect Minicom to be a dialer,
but it is only a "dumb terminal" program.

I haven't used that specific handset with cellcom, but I've used a
siemens ME45 over IRDA with cellcom, and various Nokias (including the
6100) over serial, USB, IRDA and bluetooth to Orange, and never had a
problem. I've used many dialer frontends, but I found wvdial to be the
easiest to setup and use (albeit its console based).

--
Oded

::..
Rule of Open-Source Programming #9: