Shachar Shemesh wrote:
I'm not so sure about the deleted comments, but I did go over all the
changes to the actual page (not the discussion) that took place during
those two days. It seems that the page was in the middle of a stupid
edit war. Most of the deleted comments, as far as I could tell, were
about "why was the page locked". You may not agree with the specific
decisions, but it's hard to call them "unreasonable".

Read all the deleted comments and check why they were deleted.
And it's just one example.  There are many examples.

No. The explanation says "מתחזה". ‎There was a short discussion about
it, but I cannot see the discussion itself. I'm assuming that the
discussion ended with the assertion that David Shy is too well known, so
that your friend's name was too confusing.

The thing is, such things happen everywhere names are used. I had the
exact same problem trying to buy a .co.il domain (and the collision was
with someone that ISOC agreed is a cyber-squater). I eventually had to
buy a totally different name. Such things happen.

If somebody registers "david-shay.co.il" and you want to register
"shay-david.co.il" or "davidshay.co.il" or "david-shay.com" or anything
similar, you're allowed to do so.  Nobody will stop you.  The only way
to stop you is with legal means, such as an arbitration or court order.
 There are laws and there are ways to enforce the laws.

But in Wikipedia, there are no laws.  If a system administrator (esp. a
strong one, such as David Shay or "Gilgamesh") doesn't like you for any
reason - he can delete you, ban your username, ban your IP or just make
your life miserable until you leave Wikipedia.  Don't believe me?  Try
for yourself.  Make them angry and see what happens.

By the way, a person (who's name is NOT Bruce Springsteen) registered
the domain name <brucespringsteen.com>.  Bruce Springsteen didn't like
it and filed a complaint against him (UDRP).  The arbitrators decided
that the man is ALLOWED to keep the name.  Read it:

http://arbiter.wipo.int/domains/decisions/html/2000/d2000-1532.html

In a similar dispute over the domain name <madonna.com>, the arbitrators
decided that the singer Madonna should have the name:
http://arbiter.wipo.int/domains/decisions/html/2000/d2000-0847.html

The difference is - with domain names there are arbitrators who are not
a part of the dispute, and you can appeal their decisions to court.  In
Wikipedia there are only system administrators who do anything they want.

My friend was so disappointed that he left Wikipedia.  He didn't try to
impersonate as David Shay or anybody else, he just used his name when he
registered.  But because of the reactions he decided to leave Wikipedia.
I know quite a few people who left Wikipedia.

Uri.