Many of the emails that I receive have the Sender or Subject in
different encodings of Hebrew. Some encodings show Hebrew properly but
some show gibberish like "áòðééï: ???? ????? ??????? ?????? ??????
????????".
I can often correct the gibberish of the Sender/Subject in the Message
Pane by manually choosing a different encoding but this does not effect
the encoding of the Sender/Subject details in the Messages List pane
which remains gibberish. In many of the instances the email itself shows
Hebrew properly but the Sender/Subject does not, which leads me to think
that the email body uses a different encoding than the header.

Is there a way to properly auto detect the encoding of the Header,
Sender information in Thunderbird?
Is there a way to change the encoding used in the Messages List pane?

I am using Thunderbird version 1.0.2 (20051002) on Debian Sarge

Thanks