On Sunday, 19 בFebruary 2006 20:00, Gadi Cohen wrote:
> I am a legal user of Babylon Translator.  My license is close to
> expiration.  Today I received an e-mail from their sales department
> saying that my license is being illegally used on several computers.
> If I renew my license in the next week, they'll "forget about it",
> and if I don't, they will take "the necessary action".

The way I read it, they say that the license you have received was
registered several times. I'm not sure how the Babylon software manages
the registration process, but its quite common (on MS-Windows at least)
that when you first run a newly installed software you are required to
enter a registration code. This code can (and often is) validated
against sales records through the company's servers.

This is perfectly legal, both in the US and in Israel.

What Babylon are saying is that your registration code was used numerous
times. This can be due to several scenarios -
* you reinstalled the application several times (due to re-installation
of MS-Windows).
* you used the same code on several computers.
* you gave away your code to other people and/or it was generated for
other users by an automatic key generator.

In the first case, you are legally in the clear and they should have no
complaints against you.

In the second case, you should have purchased multiple licenses (with
many software products you can pay extra for a registration code valid
for more then one computer). Under some license agreements you are
allowed to use the same product with the same license on more then one
computer if the usage isn't simultaneous, but this is not the case with
Babylon, so if you use it on two computers you must purchase two
licenses or a so-called "corporate version".

The last case is clearly illegal, but even if you were the instigator
they probably have no way to prove it, but its perfectly in their right
to revoke your license and to refuse to sell you new ones.

Anyway, unless we are talking about the second case above, Babylon's
requirement that you purchase as many licenses as your registration key
was used is clearly bogus and you should calmly approach them and
explain their error. I'm assuming that Babylon is encountering this
situation often and so this automated email is probably not meant to
harass or threaten but simply to remind you that a registration key for
Babylon does not mean free use on any computer that you or any of your
friends own.

--
Oded

::..
The Web is to graphic design as the fax machine is to literature.