On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 10:11 +0200, Muli Ben-Yehuda wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 09:51:06AM +0200, Omer Zak wrote:
>
> > If Gnome 2.12 no longer has the GUI, what configuration file/s should I
> > manually edit to restore the functionality I need for Hebrew+English
> > work?
>
> I couldn't find it either and ended up editing
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Note that even then shift-shift refused to work,
> but alt-shift worked fine.
>
>         Option "XkbOptions"
> "grp:switch,grp:alt_shift_toggle,grp_led:scroll"

DNWFM (Did Not Work For Me) :-(

I tried to add various things, ending up with the following:
 Option "XkbLayout"  "us,he_IL"
 Option "XkbVariant" ",si1452"
 Option "XkbOptions" "grp:switch,grp:alt_shift_toggle,grp_led:scroll"

(Muli's change only, then added ",he", then added the XkbVariant and
finally tried ",he_IL".  None of them worked.)

Gnome's keyboard configuration seems to be in file
~/.gconf/desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/xkb/%gconf.xml
There is also the file:
/usr/share/gconf/schemas/desktop_gnome_peripherals_keyboard_xkb.schemas
which seems to be relevant and have an interesting comment (for Gnome
2.12).
Due to the comment, I tried to delete keyboard layouts in Gnome keyboard
configuration tool, and got an error message which mentions:
xkbcomp, xmodmap,
xprop -root | grep XKB,
gconftool-2 -R /desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/kbd

I still do not know how to get Xorg to support Gnome in switching two
keyboards like XFree86.
                                                    --- Omer

--
Every good master plan involves building a time machine.  Moshe Zadka
My own blog is at http://tddpirate.livejournal.com/

I may be affiliated in any way.