I don't think that's got anything to do with the "free"ness of mplayer.

The dll's are not packed in the mplayer package -  your'e supposed to
download them from mplayer site or whatever yourself (you can actually
watch many types of videos with free codecs only, and whichever extra
codecs you choose to install is not the concern of Debian).
 The same codecs can be used with xine which is available from the
main archives without trouble.

 Also AFAIK nobody at Debian has any problems with GPL, nor with
BSD or many other OSI approved licenses which the FSF might consider
"borderline" (e.g. non-copyleft). GFDL is another matter entirely.
This just goes to show that "freeness" is not just a one-dimensional scale ;-)