Hello,

This is OT story from "real life" and it's still rolling.

A couple of days ago I was reading an article comparing Linux and
Solaris driver models. This article was recommended by Sun as
introductional reading for driver developers and was published on
April 1 2005 at OpenSolaris.org site. While reading I noticed a
factual error and felt really proud for myself, so I wrote a
correction letter to the respected author:

> Max,
>
> I was reading your article "Inside OpenSolaris: Introduction to
> Solaris Drivers" at
>
> http://opensolaris.org/os/article/2005-03-31_inside_opensolaris__introduction_to_solaris_drivers/
>
> When you're discussing differences between Linux and Solaris device
> driver models you're stating:
> "Linux uses the same names for devices regardless of their location
> (and regardless of the hardware). For instance, Linux disks are
> /dev/hda, /dev/hdb, etc., regardless of whether the disk is IDE or
> SCSI. "
>
> Example you have used seems to me to be inaccurate:
> 1. IDE disk on Linux named /dev/hdX, from other hand SCSI disks
> are /dev/sdX.
> 2. When talking about IDE disks, device names are determined by their
> location/channel:
>    * hda -  primary controller master
>    * hdb -  primary controller slave
>    * hdc -  secondary controller master
>    * hdd -  secondary controller slave
> This meens if I move, for example, disk from primary to secondary
> controller, its device name will change.
>
> Alexander Indenbaum

Max admitted an error, but his answer seemed not serious enough to me,
so I wrote a sarcastic reply:

>> On 3/17/06, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> This mistake has been pointed out to me, but I have no easy way to
>> amend the article.
>
> Strange opensolaris.org stroke me like well maintained site.
>
>> One other mistake which has been pointed out to me
>> is that the ext file system is not extent-based.
>
> Have not read that article pearl yet.
>
>> I also expect that
>> over time there will be things which change in both OSes...
>
> Well, maybe indeed it is not coincidence that your article is dated
> April 1 :)
>
> Alexander
>

>> Thanks,
>> max

The strangest thing, Max answered to me today again as if he did not
get it at all !!!
He was asking why April 1 ?
So I had to make it crystal clear: it is all about birds in state of
art network technology:

>On 3/19/06, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> The extent-based file system stuff is in a different article.
>> And my comment about things changing in both OSes was also meant
>> to refer to a different article.
>
> That sounds very interesting. Could you give me a link to this article?
>
>> So, what is it about the
>> driver article that makes you think a publishing date of April 1
>> is not a coincidence?
>
> April 1 is a day that traditionally marked by publishing revolutionary
> articles. Usually about birds in state of art network technology.
>
> Most famous are:
> * RFC 1149 - Standard for the transmission of IP datagrams on avian carriers
>  http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1149.txt
> * Why Google's patented PigeonRankā„¢ works so well
> http://www.google.com/technology/pigeonrank.html
>
> Alexander

Picture yourself my anticipation for his reply :{)

Alexander Indenbaum